fbpx

Helena’s Reed Earns Boys Gatorade Montana Cross Country Award

The senior took second at the Class AA individual state meet this past season with a time of 14:57.1

By Beacon Staff

Aidan Reed of Helena High School has been named the Gatorade Montana Boys Cross Country Runner of the Year, the organization announced Friday.

The award distinguishes Reed as Montana’s best high school boys cross country runner. He is the first cross country award winner from Helena High School.

The 5-foot-8, 120-pound senior took second at the Class AA individual state meet this past season with a time of 14:57.1, leading the Bengals to a sixth-place finish as a team. The state’s returning Gatorade Boys Cross Country Runner of the Year, Reed got stronger throughout the postseason, finishing ninth at the Nike Cross Nationals Northwest Regional championships, crossing the line in 15:49.3. He also finished 13th at the highly competitive Foot Locker West Regional championships, clocking a 16:05.1.

Reed has maintained a 3.88 GPA in the classroom. A contributor to the student newspaper and a participant in the Montana Model United Nations, he has served as president of his school’s student government in addition to volunteering as part of an anti-drug campaign and on behalf of the Montana Historical Society.

“What sets Aidan apart from the rest of the competition in Montana is his ability to focus and self-motivate to be the best he can be,” said Helena High head coach Kelley Gilbert. “Training is a year-round thing for him. He has led our team since day one of his freshman year.”

Reed has signed a National Letter of Intent to run on an athletic scholarship at Southern Utah University beginning this fall.

Two-time winner Reed joins Gatorade Montana Boys Cross Country Runners of the Year Jason Holmes (2013-14, Bozeman High School), Zach Perrin (2012-13, Flathead High School), Jakob Woodland (2011-12, Bozeman High School), Jacob Turner (2010-11, Sentinel High School), Mike Asay (2009-10, Manhattan High School), Drew Coco (2008-09, Whitefish High School), and Patrick Casey (2007-08, Laurel High School) as athletes who have won the cross country award since its inception in 2007.