St. Ignatius Home Destroyed in Lightning Fire

By Beacon Staff

SAINT IGNATIUS – A home in Saint Ignatius was destroyed in a fire caused by lightning.

Luke and Tena Savage were in bed when the lightning struck the house early Monday morning. The home had rooftop lightning arrestors.

Tena Savage says she heard a crack and saw a flash of white light and realized her bedroom was on fire. Both she and her husband escaped unharmed.

Fire Chief Ray Frey says the lightning may have sent a surge of thousands of volts through the home’s wiring, and that caused it to quickly catch fire. The home did have rooftop lightning arrestors.