Dog Named Copenhagen Alerted Owner to Cigarette Fire

By Beacon Staff

BILLINGS – A dog named after a popular brand of smokeless tobacco alerted its owner to a weekend fire started by discarded cigarettes.

Channing Leibrand, who lives in a trailer in the Casa Village neighborhood, says he awoke early Sunday afternoon to the sounds of barking from his dog, named Copenhagen.

Smelling smoke, he broke down a roommate’s locked bedroom door to urge him to leave the burning structure.

The roommate suffered second- and third-degree burns after trying to re-enter the trailer, but his injuries aren’t life-threatening.

Fire officials say the fire started when somebody put a cigarette in a flower pot. It’s being classified as accidental. Damages are pegged at about $40,000.

Stay Connected with the Daily Roundup.

Sign up for our newsletter and get the best of the Beacon delivered every day to your inbox.