Libby Boy Suffers Burns in Gas Can Explosion

By Beacon Staff

LIBBY – Lincoln County officials say a 17-year-old Libby boy is hospitalized in Seattle for treatment of burns suffered when a gas can exploded.

Sheriff Roby Bowe said dispatchers received a call at about 8:20 p.m. Wednesday reporting an explosion south of Libby had injured a boy.

Responding officers found the boy had accidentally exposed a can of gasoline to flames in a small fire pit while doing yard cleanup. The gas can exploded and splashed burning fuel on the boy, causing severe burns.

Bowe says the boy was flown to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle shortly before 10 p.m. His condition was unknown.

Stay Connected with the Daily Roundup.

Sign up for our newsletter and get the best of the Beacon delivered every day to your inbox.