fbpx

Memorial Day Buffet: C-Falls Aluminum Cuts, Schweitzer Ahead, Cat Train Manager

By Beacon Staff

Good morning. Please have a relaxing and reverent Memorial Day.

On the Beacon this morning, the Columbia Falls Aluminum Company has announced it is considering reducing production at its smelter by as much as two-thirds. Sen. Max Baucus, D-Mont., is working on a deal to conserve about a quarter of Plum Creek’s land for public use. Democratic Presidential candidate Sen. Hillary Clinton will be in Pablo Tuesday speaking at the Confederated Salish Kootenai college at 3:30 p.m. Our new food columnist, chef Jim Gray offers offers tips on how to love your lasagna. And Glacier High sophomore Lyndsey Hoffenbacker is a force on the softball diamond.

Lee Newspapers has published its pre-primary polls, and there ‘s a raft of interesting information. Obama leads Clinton among Democrats, but McCain is still beating them both. Democratic Gov. Brian Schweitzer holds a big lead over Republican challenger Roy Brown. Montanans prefer Republicans over Democrats in legislative races. Most Montanans interviewed feel the U.S. is on the wrong track, but Montana is on the right track. A trial on whether Montana is under-funding its schools is set for late September in Helena.

And finally, check out this cat train station manager in Japan, responsible for revitalizing an entire rail line. Enjoy the holiday.