Havre Fireworks Booth Catches Fire

By Beacon Staff

HAVRE – An early morning fire Tuesday destroyed a fireworks booth in north-central Montana, jeopardizing funding for the city of Havre’s annual fireworks display.

The Jaycees use proceeds from the fireworks sales to pay for the city’s Independence Day display. They ordered around $5,300 worth of fireworks for the city display, but they don’t pay for them until after the 4th of July, using proceeds from the fireworks booth, said Jason Murri, who oversees the display.

“Now, not only do we have to pay for all the fireworks we lost, we have to get a new fireworks booth somewhere,” Murri said.

The fire began before dawn, and flames engulfed the building as fireworks exploded inside. No one was injured.

“There was a lot of smoke, and you could hear stuff going off inside there,” said

Amanda Laeupple, president of the Havre Jaycees, said the booth was insured, but she is not sure the contents were.

The Jaycees are seeking donations to pay for the display as they work to get a new fireworks booth and inventory.

Havre Fire Chief Dave Sheppard said the cause of the fire is still under investigation.

Stay Connected with the Daily Roundup.

Sign up for our newsletter and get the best of the Beacon delivered every day to your inbox.