Jed Link, from Congressman Denny Rehberg’s office, just held a conference call with the state’s media. Link quickly turned the call over to Erik Iverson, Rehberg’s longtime friend and former chair of the Montana Republican Party, who is in Kalispell. Here’s what Iverson said:
• Rehberg is “in stable condition and doing well,” and underwent surgery to repair his broken left ankle and expected to make a full recovery.
• Can’t speak to anyone else’s condition who was involved in the accident. “Closely monitoring the situation.”
• Along with broken ankle, Rehberg has some cuts and bruises and his ribs are pretty sore. He also took a “pretty good bump” to the head.
• Iverson and Rehberg haven’t discussed how the accident occurred.
• Will be another update on his condition later this evening.
• Doesn’t know if alcohol was a factor in the wreck. Said Rehberg was a passenger in the boat.
• Didn’t know who was driving and said the investigation is ongoing.
• Rehberg was not transported by helicopter to the hospital.
• Sen Max Baucus has tried to get a hold of Rehberg at the hospital.
• Group was heading back toward Bigfork when the accident occurred.
• Rehberg said his ankle “hurts like hell.”
• Doesn’t know if Rehberg plans to make any statements soon.
• Mood mostly positive and hopeful at the hospital.
• Said hospital staff and administrators have been “incredible” at Kalispell Regional Medical Center.
Stay Connected with the Daily Roundup.
Sign up for our newsletter and get the best of the Beacon delivered every day to your inbox.