Sun Prairie Park Possibly Poisoned

By Beacon Staff

SUN PRAIRIE – Health officials in Sun Prairie are warning residents to keep their children and pets out of a local park after a dog died of suspected strychnine poisoning.

Kate Marone with the City-County Health Department says the department received word Monday that a dog died from what a veterinarian believed was strychnine poisoning after playing in Grant Park on Friday.

The pesticide — banned in 1988 — causes muscular convulsions in animals and can eventually lead to death. It was once used to treat stomach ailments in humans, but Marone says even a low or moderate dose can cause muscle spasms, liver or kidney damage and difficulty breathing.

Kelly Leitheiser says her son and 7-year-old dog, Rocky, were playing in the park for about 20 minutes before the dog went into convulsions and died.

Stay Connected with the Daily Roundup.

Sign up for our newsletter and get the best of the Beacon delivered every day to your inbox.