House Explodes in South Kalispell

By Beacon Staff

A home on the south side of Kalispell exploded Saturday, collapsing the roof and blanketing neighboring homes with insulation. No one was inside the 2358 Coot Court home when it exploded at about 12:15 p.m. There were no injuries.

A gun was accidentally discharged at the home earlier in the morning. Investigators believe the gunshot may have unknowingly damaged some of the internal natural gas piping or furnace in the crawl space, where the initial explosion may have occurred.

When firefighters arrived, debris could be found throughout the neighborhood just off Airport Road. The home is a total loss. Damage was also reported to three neighboring homes and “a total dollar amount loss is initially reported at $300,000,” according to the Kalispell Fire Department.

Along with the Kalispell Fire Department, the Evergreen Fire Department, South Kalispell Fire Department, Smith Valley Fire Department, Whitefish Fire Department, Flathead Electric, Northwest Energy, Kalispell Police Department, and City of Kalispell Water Department assisted at the scene.

Stay Connected with the Daily Roundup.

Sign up for our newsletter and get the best of the Beacon delivered every day to your inbox.