Teen Pleads Guilty to Assault Stemming from Bus Incident

By Beacon Staff

A former Glacier High School freshman football team co-captain admitted to misdemeanor assault on Nov. 23. in Flathead Youth Court.

Logan R. Jones, 15, appeared before District Judge Stewart Stadler and apologized to former teammates and their families sitting in the courtroom after admitting his role in an incident on a Sept. 12 bus ride.

After a 42-0 win in Missoula, the Glacier freshman football team was riding home on the bus when “postgame excitement got out of control,” Jones’ lawyer said.

Jones, who did not play in the game because of an ankle injury, admitted to grabbing teammates out of their seats and dragging them to the back of the bus against their will. Jones admitted to instances of holding his hand over their mouths before hitting them in the groin and poking them in the rectum through their pants. Five other teammates were involved in the assault of the four boys and were later kicked off the team. A coach who was asleep on the bus during the incident resigned. A second teenager still faces charges of misdemeanor assault.

Asked by Deputy County Attorney Lori Adams if he had any sexual intent in the assault, Jones replied, “No.”

“I made a very big mistake,” he said. “I wasn’t thinking and I’m extremely sorry. To the families that are here, I’m extremely sorry I’ve caused you guys a lot of pain and it was my fault. It was all my fault. I’m very sorry.”

Jones is no longer attending Glacier and is not allowed at school events.

“This has definitely caused pain for everybody and I’ve got to definitely understand there’s consequences for what I do. I’m just so sorry for it,” he said, adding, “I let my team down and was really a bad example.”

Jones is scheduled to return to court on Jan. 6 for sentencing. Stadler said Jones could face probation until the age of 18 or beyond.

Stay Connected with the Daily Roundup.

Sign up for our newsletter and get the best of the Beacon delivered every day to your inbox.