If you enjoy spicy peanut sauce, you’ll love this dish. It’s very tasty and simple to create, and the noodles can be prepared ahead of time since they are served at room temperature. The noodles, combined with warm sliced chicken, make this a terrific dish to serve at a party.
Serves four people
• Up to two weeks ahead: Make peanut sauce and refrigerate.
• Up to one week ahead: Make chili sauce and refrigerate.
• Up to four hours ahead: Boil noodles and toss with cucumbers and carrots, then cover at room temperature.
• One hour ahead: Marinate chicken and prepare grill.
• 25 minutes ahead: Grill chicken breasts.
• Just before serving: Toss noodles with peanut sauce.
• Four skinless, boneless chicken breasts
CHILI SAUCE MARINADE
• 3/4 cup vegetable oil
• 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon chili sauce with garlic
• 1 tablespoon honey
SPICY PEANUT SAUCE (Makes 2 1/2 cups)
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• 1/4 cup tahini, stirred
• 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
• 2 tablespoons dry sherry
• 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
• 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
• 1/3 cup honey
• 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped garlic
• 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped ginger
• 1/2 cup crunchy regular peanut butter
• 1 teaspoon dry red pepper flakes
• 1/4 cup water
NOODLES AND VEGETABLES
• 6 ounces Asian fresh or dried egg or water noodles
• 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
• 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
• 1/4 English cucumbers, julienned
• 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
• 4 green onions sliced thin
• Fresh cilantro sprigs
TO MAKE PEANUT SAUCE: Place all ingredients in a blender and purée.
TO MAKE CHILI SAUCE MARINADE: In a stainless steel bowl, whisk all chili sauce ingredients together until blended. Wash chicken breasts and pat dry. Put chicken into a zip lock bag with the chili sauce. Let marinate for one hour at room temperature, tossing one time.
TO PREPARE NOODLES AND VEGETABLES: Bring water to a boil. Add noodles and cook (for 3 minutes if fresh or 5 minutes if dried), until al dente. Add vegetable oil and sesame oil, and toss to coat. Stir in carrots, cucumbers, and green onions.
TO GRILL CHICKEN: Preheat grill and oil the grate. Grill chicken on medium heat for 6 to 8 minutes per side, creating nice grill markings. Remove from grill and let rest for approximately 5 minutes before thinly slicing.
TO PLATE: Toss the noodles and vegetables with as much spicy peanut sauce as desired. Mound noodles in the center of a pasta bowl and top with sliced chicken. Drizzle with peanut sauce and garnish with fresh cilantro sprigs.
The spicy peanut sauce is also delicious with grilled pork, roasted chicken, and even grilled shrimp. I would love to hear your thoughts on this recipe. Please email me your comments at [email protected]. Bon appétit!
Stay Connected with the Daily Roundup.
Sign up for our newsletter and get the best of the Beacon delivered every day to your inbox.