Yes, it is that time of year again. The Superbowl is upon us. February 3, 2013 will be among one of the biggest food consumption days of the entire year.
Along with the buzz of team competition and overrated commercials is the big question, “What about the food?” And, I think it goes without saying there is a “Top 5” list of favorite game time foods.
At the top of that list is the beloved chicken wing. It is estimated that more than 1.25 billion chicken wings will be devoured on Superbowl Sunday. The very first chicken wing should have coined the phrase, “No one can eat just one.”
Over the years, the guilt settled in over these saucy, sassy and oh-so-delicious bites.
So, if you love all the flavors of a chicken wing, with a little less guilt, put out a spread of buffalo chicken lettuce wraps on your party table.
Still, no one will be able to eat just one.
You will need the following ingredients:
- 3 cups shredded chicken (can use leftover from whole roasted or store bought rotisserie)
- 1/2 cup Frank’s hot sauce
- 1 Tbs. butter
- 2 Tbs. honey
- 2 tsp. pureed chipotle pepper (or more to increase heat level)
- 1 large carrot, peeled and shredded
- 2 celery stalks, sliced thin on a bias cut
- 4 scallions, green parts only, sliced thin on a bias cut
- 4 oz. good quality bleu cheese, crumbled
- 1 head butter lettuce, leaves whole
Combine hot sauce, butter, honey and pureed chipotle in a small saucepan, simmer briefly, stirring to incorporate butter.
Stir in shredded chicken.
Line eight to 10 of the larger lettuce leaves on a platter and divide sauced chicken equally among them.
Garnish with carrot, celery, bleu cheese crumbles and scallions. Serve immediately.
Makes 8-10 wraps
Jamie Liphardt is a personal chef with Delicious HomeCooked Food in Bigfork.
Stay Connected with the Daily Roundup.
Sign up for our newsletter and get the best of the Beacon delivered every day to your inbox.