fbpx

In Latest Search, Whitefish Selects Five New Finalists for City Manager

City officials will interview candidates next week before making offer to top choice

By Beacon Staff
Whitefish City Hall. Beacon File Photo

Five new finalists have emerged in the latest search for a city manager in Whitefish.

The five candidates will conduct in-person interviews with the Whitefish City Council and community and staff committees on Dec. 16. The council will meet in an executive session on either Dec. 16 or Dec. 19 to select the top choice, according to city officials.

The city is interviewing a list of finalists for the second time since Chuck Stearns announced he would retire in early January after eight years as Whitefish’s chief administrative officer. In September, the council re-advertised the position after the top candidate declined the offer.

The latest finalists are: David Buckingham, the city manager in Morro Cay, California; Adam Hammatt, village administrator in Kimberly, Wisconsin; Evelyn Racette, former town manager of Pinetop-Lakeside, Arizona; William Vajda, former city manager of Marquette, Michigan; and Matthew Vincent, chief executive officer for Butte-Silver Bow City-County in Montana.

Buckingham has worked as the city manager for Morro Bay for two years and is a retired Army Colonel. He holds a master of arts degree in international relations, a master of arts degree in national security and strategic studies and a bachelor of science degree in industrial and manufacturing systems engineering. Buckingham served in the U.S. Army for 27 years in a wide variety of leadership and management assignments and positions, completing his service in five senior executive positions.

Hammatt has worked for the Village of Kimberly, Wisconsin as the administrator for four years. He holds a juris doctor degree, master of public administration and a bachelor of arts degree in political science and is an ICMA Credentialed Manager. Before his tenure in Kimberly, Hammatt worked as the village administrator for the Village of Suamico and as the city administrator for the City of Elroy. Hammatt has also served as an EMT/safety officer for St. Patrick Hospital in Missoula and as a firefighter/paramedic for Great Falls Fire Rescue and is a native of Montana.

Racette was the former town manager for Pinetop-Lakeside, Arizona. She holds a master of public administration and a bachelors of art in music. Prior to her tenure with the Town of Pinetop-Lakeside, Racette served as a city manager for Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin and city administrator for Prairie City, Indiana.

Vajda was the former city manager for the City of Marquette, Michigan and currently is the president and owner of Balizarde LLC., a consulting firm offering specialized management and analytic services to state and local government. Vajda holds a master of public policy/administration and a bachelor of arts. Prior to his tenure in Marquette, Vajda has had an extensive public service career holding several senior executive positions within the U.S. government, NATO, state and local government, as well as private industry.

Vincent has worked as the chief executive officer for Butte-Silver Bow City-County for four years, as the reclamation manager/Superfund planner for six years and as a water quality specialist for two years. Vincent spent his early childhood in the Flathead Valley before moving to Butte and graduating from Butte High School. Vincent holds a bachelor of science in chemistry from Montana Tech. In addition to his positions with Butte-Silver Bow City-County, he also served as the associate director/program director for the Clark Fork Watershed Education Program at the University of Montana, Montana Tech for seven years and as a reporter/columnist for the Montana Standard for eight years.